Creating an Assignment FolderSee Video
- Create a new folder in the folder you use for your course by clicking Add Folder, and giving it a name.
- Click on the folder to open it, then click on the gear icon in the upper right.
- Click on Create Assignment folder. This will create a new subfolder with the same name as the parent folder, but with ‘Assignments’ in brackets.
- Close the settings window.
- Click on the new assignments folder to open it, then click on the gear icon in the upper right.
- Click on Settings. Here you have the option to allow students to see other students’ videos. Note this option is disabled by default. Close the settings window.
- You now have a Panopto folder where students have Creator access.
How Students will Use the Video Assignments Folder to Create or Upload Videos
- Log in to BlackBoard and find your course. After entering into your course, you should find a link to Panopto in the left navigation. However, your instructor may provide this link elsewhere in your specific class.
- Clicking on the Panopto link will display the main Panopto window, which may include videos the instructor has shared with the class. Then click on the video assignment folder you wish to access. Your instructor may have a separate folder for each assignment. There may be a folder inside that folder with ‘assignments’ in brackets, in which case you will want to open that folder.
- To upload a video, click the Create button at the top of the page and select Upload Media.
- You will need to select a folder here. Choose the folder that corresponds to the course or assignment you are working on.
- Browse to find your video file and click Open. The file will begin to upload. When it is finished uploading, you may close the window.
- Your video will now be displayed in the folder you chose, but it will need to finish processing before the video can be viewed.
Using Panopto on a Computer to capture your video
- While you can use any method you are comfortable with to generate the video to upload, consider using the Panopto recorder app. With the recorder, you will be able to select the appropriate folder, capture your content, and immediately upload the video.
- To get the Panopto recorder, access the Panopto page in your course, or go to Panopto.kumc.edu and log in with your KUMC credentials. You will find a link to download Panopto in the upper right by your name.
- After downloading and installing the software, start the recorder, and log in.
- The first thing to do is to select the appropriate folder for your video. You wil only have access to specific folders in Panopto, so choose the one that corresponds to your class and assignment.
- Next, you will want to name the video. By default, it will place the date and time in here, but you will want to change that to include your name, and the title of the assignment.
- You will see you have various possible content inputs. For example, if you have a webcam connected, you should see a preview of that at the left. Beneath that, you can choose a different video or audio source. If you do not want to capture your webcam video, deselect it here.
- While you can change the quality, Standard quality should suffice for any assignment.
- If you want to capture other computer audio, such as mouse click sounds, or audio form a video playing on your screen, check Capture computer Audio.
- Your Secondary sources may vary, but you will typically have a Powerpoint Slides option and a Main Screen option. Check any of these if you wish to capture your screen as well. Note – you do NOT have to capture your screen just to capture your webcam video, so choose only those sources you wish to capture. For example, if you want to ONLY capture your webcam video, uncheck all secondary sources.
- Click the red Record button at the upper left to begin recording. Click Stop Recording when finished. The video will be automatically uploaded. It will take some time to process, depending on how long to video is.
Using Mobile Devices with Panopto
- The Panopto app is also available for IOS and Android. With the app, you can take video shot with your mobile device and upload the videos in the same manner as with a desktop. With the IOS version, you can also capture video with the app. This function is not available in the Android version.
- After downloading and installing the app, it will ask you what server to connect to. Use: panopto.kumc.edu as your server, and log in with your KUMC credentials.